Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Waiting for Spring

It begins subtly.
So subtly that I almost don't notice.
After all, it is warm
not cold.
And they are green
not brown.
But that doesn't change the fact that they are on the ground,
leaving a vacancy on the branches they once called home.
The summer sun has sapped the branch of strength
and it can no longer keep its hold.
Autumn comes with its irresistible wind and rain,
and I can do nothing to stop it
as it tears the leaves away one by one...until that final release.
Then it will be winter.
And it will be cold
And the branches will be empty.
And there will be no leaves to give me shelter.

But I have hope
that spring will come.
New life will grow and provide me shelter.
A resting place.
Until Autumn.


It began subtly.
So subtly that at first I didn't notice.
After all, it was one
not all.
And they were "led"
not fleeing.
But that didn't change the fact that they were gone,
leaving a vacancy in the branches they once called family.
The summer sun had sapped the branch of strength
and it could no longer keep its hold.
This season of change comes with its irresistible wind and rain,
and I can do nothing to stop it
as it tears these dear ones away one by one...
until that final abandonment.
Then our community will be dead.
And it will be lonely.
And my heart will feel empty.
And there will be no one left to fellowship with me.

But I have hope
that spring will come.
New relationships will grow
and I will again join my heart with others.
A resting place.
Until we too, are parted.


It will begin subtly.
So subtly that it has probably already begun without my notice.
After all, it's my knee
not my vision.
And I feel strong
not weak.
But that doesn't change the fact that my strength will keep waning,
leaving a vacancy on the branches I once called "my body."
The summer sun will sap this branch of its strength
until it can no longer keep its hold.
Death will come midst irresistible wind and rain,
and no one can do anything to stop it
as it tears my breaths away one by one...until that final exhale.
Then…I will be free!
And I will see Him.
And the thirst of my heart will be quenched.
And light will drench the
once-dark corners of my soul.

This is my Hope.
Spring will come.
New Life will begin and I will be complete
in the presence of the One for whom I've longed.
A joyful place.
And I will never feel the sting of Autumn again.

No comments: