Saturday, July 12, 2008

My arm works just fine, thank you!

I used to think electric toothbrushes were for weak or lazy people. Hey, until I lose the ability to move my arm slightly back and forth, I'll stick with the manual toothbrush!

Recently, though I've decided that my gumline is maybe starting to recede a bit by one of my teeth in particular. I've been told that vigorous and extensive brushing (a favorite pasttime of mine) can chase those gums back even further, but an electric toothbrush that cleans without as much pressure can give your gums a break and allow them to grow back a bit. I specifically heard that in regards to a very expensive electric toothbrush. Well, I couldn't bring myself to pay $100 for something I'm used to paying $2 bucks for, so I comprimised and bought a $7 dollar one.

Having just completed my first brushing with the electric toothbrush, it is too early to see any change in my gumline. But I did notice a side effect that I didn't really expect. My teeth feel SO much smoother and cleaner than they usually do after brushing. I think I'm hooked. I thought I was doing a great, thorough job with my arm and manual brush, but I don't think I can go back. Alas! I too have become one of the lazy masses entrusting my dental hygiene to AA batteries.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you become nocturnal? You posted that at a funny time. At Dad's recent checkup, they said his mouth is MUCH improved, specifically that his gums seemed to have regained the ground they'd lost before we got electric toothbrushes. I still can't tell much difference, but the rest of the people in our family seem to greatly prefer the feel of electrically brushed teeth, just like you. Love you! Mom

Kristi Smith said...

Pretty much...yes. Since THE spiderbite, I've been up 'til dawn most nights to guard my bed and room from 8 legged intruders. (I read somewhere that most spiders hunt and prowl at night.)