Thursday, July 10, 2008

Ugly Insect Bite

I woke up on July 5th with a nickle-sized Insect bite on my knee. I don't remember ever having such a dark and large bite mark. After four days and it still not going away, I took some pictures of it last night, just to keep track of it.


This morning it looks as if it's changed abit. Now it's bullseye-collored.

I've heard the bullseye is a mark of a brown recluse spider, but I think the lesion is way too small for that, plus it should have grown and developed over the first few days--not to mention that brown recluses don't nest in my region. I read somewhere that tick bites can remain for weeks and small ones are coin-sized, and some of them form bullseye's, so maybe that's it. I don't know, I've never seen a tick. And don't people get ticks from outside? I was outside sitting on the grass on the 4th of July, but I was wearing jeans that covered my legs. And I never felt or saw anything that night--only the next morning. Do ticks craw around inside houses?

Okay, enough about my spider or tick or insect bite. If you have any ideas on what it could be, let me know!

7 comments:

ennetws said...

will you turn into a spidergirl?

Kristi Smith said...

I can dream....

Nevermind...I just imagined myself in the costume!

Anonymous said...

hi, a similar bite happened to me, actually i have more than 20 of them, my dermatologist said that it is most probably a flea bite. however i do not know where they came from since i do not have pets.

debby said...

Funny, it is one year after your post (to the day.) The bite on my ankle looks like your second picture - hole in the middle, red ring around the outside. We have cats, dogs, and turtles. We have seen ticks in our home, but have not seen fleas. Did you find out what it was? How long did it take to go away? In addition, I sprained the same ankle yesterday, wonder if it is related to the bite.

Kristi Smith said...

Hi Debby,

I think it took about 2 weeks to fade away entirely. But I could tell it was fading out after about four or five days. We never found out what it was. My best guess is still a spider of some sort--mostly because it reacted differently than the flea bites or mosquito bites that I had received in the past and over the rest of the summer I found a few strange specimens of spiders in the basement room I was renting from my friends.

Anonymous said...

It's 10 August 2009 in the U.K. and I got the same thing on my elbow after working in the garden this weekend. My garden if full of a range of spiders, but no ticks. Just noticed it the next morning when I awoke.

Anonymous said...

get checked for lyme disease