Sunday, October 5, 2008

My New Church

I am now attending First Covenant Church on 45th & Burnside. The "Covenant" refers to their committment to one another and not to any particular theology that may share the term. (So calm down, everyone!) :-) I am super-excited about and really enjoying my new church. I guess you could say it's that infatuation period where I see so many things that I like about the church, without knowing it well enough to know the problems that I'm sure exist somewhere as they do in pretty much any community of people.

I found the church by a fluke--they were in a random article and I looked up their denomination online since I'd never heard of it before. I liked the orthodoxy, yet simplicity of their doctrinal statement, so I decided to put it on my list of churches to visit. It was one of 20-some churches that I visited, and when I was nearing the end of my list I was beginning to detest being a visitor and long to settle somewhere. First Cov was the place that I was most drawn to, and so I decided to go for a month or so before committing. In the meantime, I asked the pastor some questions that I had about the church, and was pleased with his answers. After 8 weeks of "visiting" (I kept fearing that some "red flag" would come up, and so I put off committing), I decided I truly wanted to be a part of the community. Since then I have joined a care group, and am hoping to soon begin helping out with the youth ministry. I am excited each day that brings me into contact with people from this community and I am eager to get to know more of the people and to become more involved with the church.

Some of the things that attracted me to the church from its website were...
  • The simple affirmations of belief that covered the basics of Christian doctrine.
  • The grace that the community extended to one another in areas of Christian practice.
  • Some of the missionaries and service organizations that the church supports were listed
  • Yes, I'll say it even though it's unpopular midst my family and friends: the church ordains both men and women to ministry and leadership, a position that I have grown into on my journey to seek God's heart for the church.

Some of the things that attracted me the first day there were...
  • The church laughed with one another over silly technical difficulties.
  • People seemed casual and comfortable
  • There was a sense of community midst the members of the congregation
  • There was a wide age range of people.

Some of the things that I have loved since then are...

  • Old and young enjoy enthusiastic and heartfelt musical worship.
  • The church takes a church mission trip, not a youth one--this being a long-time dream of mine.
  • Solid biblical teaching, that addresses the tough questions.
  • My care group spent the first 30 minutes of our meeting identifying some of ways we will serve the community and those in need this year.
  • We take communion every other week and there is a variety in the method used which keeps things fresh and not mechanical.
  • They love one another.
  • They laugh with one another.
  • They care for one another.
  • I can see myself serving there.

I am realizing though, how much time it will take to know these people. At my first care group meeting last Thursday I felt so proud because I learned 14 people's names. But then when we began to share prayer requests I realized how little a name tells me. Someone would ask for prayer for so-and-so, and I would have to ask the kind woman next to me, "Who is that?" "Her daughter"..."their friend"..."grandson," etc. I never realized before how difficult a prayer meeting at Cascade could have been for a newcomer. When someone there shared a prayer request, I had no problem understanding because I knew the names of their family members and the situations that their family members were in. Seriously, it will take years and years and years--if ever--to know these people like that. But I'm trying to learn!

No comments: