Friday, November 23, 2007

November Seventeenth

November Seventeenth. It's an odd day. It sneaks up on me like any other day and then BOOM, something strange happens. It's not necessarily a terrible day, just a day that notable things often seem to happen. It started November 17, 1994--the day my Grandma Smith died. That was a bad one. A couple years later November 17th was the day of the first snowfall of the year--the earliest date I ever remember it snowing in Portland! November 17, 1999 was the day I first held hands with a boy. Weird things happened on November 17ths in college: I randomly received money in the mail one year and I had a strange encounter with a crazy boss another year. Last year, I spent November 17th at the beach with a houseful of Jr. High students who were perhaps the whiniest, rudest group of students I had ever encountered up to that point. My friend Ibrahim attributes my November 17th superstition to "confirmational bias"; he thinks the only reason notable things happen that day of the year is because that is the day of the year that I am looking to notice them. He could be right...but then again...

November 17, 2007 joins the list of notable November 17ths. That is because this is the day that I officially received notification of losing my job at the church. The long deliberated merge is happening, and the termination of my employment at Cascade helps relieve our struggling community of some of its financial burden as well as allows a new church to emerge from the two groups that is not tied down to extra committments. I've chosen not to be a part of the newly merged church, but will continue attending Sunday morning services at Cascade until my work with the youth is wrapped up.

I have received "three months notice"--meaning that I will be paid for an additional three months work. However, since over the past three years I have worked about 12 weeks of overtime hours, the church has agreed to pay me for the next three months and allow me to decide how much of that I intend to work. I plan to wrap up my administrative responsibilities next week, but take a longer time helping the youth to deal with this change and provide them options for future growth in community.

November 17th. I told you it's an odd day! (Do you believe me yet, Brahim?) Although this year it was painful, it also marks a great transition that God has in store for my life and I'm trusting him for whatever comes next!

3 comments:

ennetws said...

I pray that things get better for you. Change is healthy sometimes :)

(PS: your blog just confirms the confirmation bias theory.. Its not a fact :P )

Take care.

-Ib

Pands said...

Hi Kris,
Thought I'd finally comment on your blog since I'm a consistent reader! I read it out loud to Terra and Paul sitting at the breakfast table with me this morning. I enjoyed so much our talk on the phone last week. It's amazing to see in your life the peace of God that transcends all understanding. We are praying for wisdom and guidance for you during this transitional time! We love you! Love, Sheila for the Gundies and Roots

Unknown said...

Hi Kristi,

Thank you so much for including me in your circle of friends. I love keeping up with what is going on in your life. Thanks for giving me a little glimpse into your victories, and your struggles.

Praying for you,
Milt